Family Practice Residency- Our journey together for 3 years (06/2007-06/2010)

Family Practice Residency- Our journey together for 3 years (06/2007-06/2010)
First Day of Intern Year (2007)

2nd half of Intern year (2008)

1st half of 2nd Year (2008)

End of 2nd Year, June 2009

Beginning of 3rd Year, October 2009

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Continuity Delivery


I thought these words would NEVER cross my lips.... delivering an OB continuity patient is great! I just delivered my first baby....to a family that I know and have had actual appointments with for nine months! I know what you are thinking; people actually get prenatal care for nine months!?? It's true. I have delivered about 70 plus babies now and this was the best ever!

I saw them in clinic for the newborn exam too. Can you tell how excited I am!? CONTINUITY DOES EXIST, whew.... I need to lie down.

Note: Please remind me of this moment when I am on number 20 and cussing up a storm because I get called in at 3am by an intern.

3 comments:

Jonathan & Rachel said...

Congrats Amy!!! I agree, it is so much more fulfilling to deliver patient's that we know and who we have followed...I had my first in March and even though I only saw her twice before delivery (I picked her up in OBT on call), it was cool to actually call her by name and know history about her without looking at the chart. You look so happy in the picture--that is why we chose family medicine.

Nicole said...

My first continuity was a Kahren speaking Thai refugee that I couldn't communicate with because the translator phone didn't work during the entire hospital stay. Nightmare! And my next two up are from, yup, you guessed it...Thailand! And one is HIV + and one is Hep B +. My other 4 continuities that are cooking, I kid you not, ALL have depression and are medicated for it. I seriously need to hunt down a good continuity so I can look as fulfilled and amazing as Amy does in this picture!
Congrats by the way! That's awesome!

Brent said...

you look at the chart when going to the standby delivery? If I'm lucky I find out the patient's name! all I'm thinking is "should I deliver this baby now and go back to bed, or will the OB be here soon enough so can go back to bed". but seriously I don't find out the patient's name until I grab a sticker. I did have on continuity so far and it was really cool.