Family Practice Residency- Our journey together for 3 years (06/2007-06/2010)

Family Practice Residency- Our journey together for 3 years (06/2007-06/2010)
First Day of Intern Year (2007)

2nd half of Intern year (2008)

1st half of 2nd Year (2008)

End of 2nd Year, June 2009

Beginning of 3rd Year, October 2009

Monday, April 14, 2008

Pact

Alright, so here's what I don't get. Why is there double coverage by our seniors on night float, and even triple coverage on weekends if they are so unwilling to cover for us if we're sick? I mean whats the fricking point?
I say right here and right now, we all make a pact to really support our interns. Like if they are sick, work a night for them. It so sucks to work all night/day/weekend when you are sick. And we have coverage built in. But its like its a major sin, or downfall or weakness to even think of asking them to work for us. And god forbid they offer to do so.
Like Amy's new quote on the board...a family member has to die to get a day off. Thats just stupid when there are extra people built into the schedule. Its like theres some machismo to working so much. Like since they did it as interns, we have to do it too. Well I can tell you right now, its not healthy, and its not supporting each other to have to work sick.
Lets make it different for our new interns.

2 comments:

Jonathan & Rachel said...

I agree, we should all be willing to take one for the team and fill in for somebody's who's sick or what have you. I think in our discussions as a class, it's pretty clear that we all want to be much more supportive and helpful once we're seniors. But, I really think the culture of our program has to change. For whatever reason there is this feeling here that once you've complete your intern year, you're home-free and can coast downhill. I'm not sure about all of you, but I want to learn and progress and work the rest of my life, not just my intern year...that's the myth we've got to break here. By being more focused about learning and growing, but still staying laid-back and not taking ourselfves too seriously, I thinkg we can fix most of these problems.

Jeremy said...

I'm in Kat. My first month on service my senior kept saying they work interns really hard and "it is kind of messed up" (his comments were usually in between naps). Could not agree more that the reason for all the coverage is to make sure work is handled if someone gets sick. Loved the quote on the board by the way Amy. We have 2 years to lay the groundwork for some positive change. Will require more effort on our part but will hopefully make us and those around us better doctors (like Steve Nashes of medicine, not to get all mancrushy on you guys). Down with the flippin Spurs, GO SUNS.