This is your brain....This is your brain after OB....Any questions?

Okay, so I think Nicole's brain is officially scrambled, and with only 1 week of OB left to go. Last night, I caught Nicole workin' a little overtime. She had been in bed, and presumably asleep, for a couple of hours already, when I heard her mumbling in her sleep (a fairly common occurance, and usually no big deal). But then I realized what she was saying! She was presenting a pt to her attending! I thought "Is she on the phone, or what?!?" Oh no! She was carrying on a conversation with herself. The first part was unintelligable, but she thought it was funny apparently, because she had a nice little chuckle, and then this is what she said; "No, she's doing okay now....I think once she gets settled into her room she'll be fine.... No, I think we can hold off on pushing her for now... Okay... Yeah... Okay, I can just call you if anything changes.... Okay." That's word for word folks. Hilarious.
I didn't dare interupt the conversation as a patients life seemingly hung by a thread, but I really thought about asking for some specifics like "What was her blood pressure?" or something. But then I was worried I'd wake her up and ruin it all. She settled back down after that and fell back into REM, but I just thought I'd share (with her permission of course). I can't imagine the conversations she must have when she's actually on-call! I have a feeling we'll all need a little therapy after intern year is up though.
3 comments:
Well, I guess that flys in the face of "don't take your work home with you..." Kind of hard to make yourself not dream about it. Only a few more days....and half of one of those is block end!!!
Nice letter to Orm, Brent.
This is Rachel....I am just waiting for the same occurance to happen to Jonathan next month (on OB). He's been known to talk in his sleep, although I'm usually not as nice as you, I always ask questions and start laughing. Needless to say, it never goes over well. I'll tell you...you are all better people than I, we'll all be breathing a sigh of relief after this year? Hopefully everyone will return to their normal, upbeat selves again! Thinking of you all, Rachel
Yes, I have a question. Did you know that you are violating the copyright laws by posting the image of the fried egg without permission? That image is protected by a copyright. Please remove the image from your site.
Post a Comment