12 days....phew
Well, I have made it through my 12 days straight of working. Not without some trauma though. Today was not the way I would have liked 12 days to end. First off, the chief resident tells me before noon conference that she needs to see me privately in her office afterwards. So of course I am thinking that I am getting my first law suit. They found me out, I really don't know what the @#!$% I am doing, and they're going to prove it to me. So this chief is certainly not our chief, she is quiet, and a little, yes Brent you know it, "awkward". So we ride the elevator up to her office with some awkward converation, because I am thinking I must have screwed something up royally, we get there, she closes the door, my heart sinks a little further, and she says "here" and hands me a $5 card for starbucks, "thanks for doing a good job here." And then we're apparently done. Wierd.
Then later I am all excited to tap my 3 month old patient (who of course I screwed up by starting antbx before we drew cultures and tapped her.....) and I fail the tap, then my senior fails the tap, all the while mom is hanging out wringing her fingers watching blood drip out of her babies back while she is crying and arching hysterically. Not my idea of a good time.
Next: I get to go to a patients room whose mom is PISSED because her sons antbx that were ordered in the am didn't get started until the pm.. And he didn't get fed....and his orthopod doesn't want to operate....and nobody comes to tell her what is going on in her sons care....Meanwhile its not like I was out farting around doing nothing all day, ignoring her...Phew. Just needed to blow off a little steam.
In general peds isn't too bad. Just long. Looking forward to block end. And to being on wards and seeing my people every day. Now thats cool. Oh yeah, I am also looking forward to a whole weekend off next weekend.
Jeremy, why weren't you in clinic wednesday? Missed you.
And how about that patient of yours?? So the other day I am driving to work, and am at Bethany Home/19th ave and see a patient, in hospital gown, pushing his IV pole across the street, not in the sidewalk mind you, most likely going to get a pack of Marlboro Reds. Oh the power of addiction. I called Jeremy to let him know his pt was AMA.....
4 comments:
Kat, I had clinic Friday morning post night float. Got your message about my ama patient. It was dang funny. We were about to morning checkout when I got it. We all had a good laugh about it. Mostly because we were wishing a couple of our patients would go ama.
The next time I awkwardly tell one of you I need to speak to you in my office (which by the way is the bathroom on the second floor, a la Fonzie, man that guy was cool,) it won't be to give you a five dollar gift card. Very awkward. Why not just say hey great job Katster, have a latte on me.
One more week of nights for me and then the death zone, at least according to the posts of a certain Nicella.
Man, I am really excited about doing OB and Peds back-to-back later. Something I realized about doing two of my surgical rotations first, is that now there is not much to look forward to. Oh and did everyone get the news about them wanting us all to stay until rounds when we're post-call?!? That bites. We need to have some sort of uprising, civil-unrest if you will, to get that changed. I wonder if it's Doug's doing, or if the powers-that-be came up with that gem. Sorry, this wasn't much of a response to your blog Kat, but more of an outlet for my latest complaints. Anyone else care to add anything?
Seriously not looking forward to peds...and that must've been REALLY awkward to get that coffee card Kat...but definitely enjoy your latte because you deserve it!
As for what Brent said, I couldn't agree more about the whole post-call crap! A huge reason I liked Baptist in the first place was because our calls were only 24hours...now having to stay to round with the attending is going to make it close to 30hours...that's SO lame! I mean, I always said I could deal with working 12 hour days on medicine if the calls were only 24 hours, but now I'm ticked! Especially since most programs with normal calls that last 30 hours only work 8-10hour days. We need to do something about this new unfortunate change!
Post a Comment