Family Practice Residency- Our journey together for 3 years (06/2007-06/2010)

Family Practice Residency- Our journey together for 3 years (06/2007-06/2010)
First Day of Intern Year (2007)

2nd half of Intern year (2008)

1st half of 2nd Year (2008)

End of 2nd Year, June 2009

Beginning of 3rd Year, October 2009

Friday, June 27, 2008

Seriously Black Cloud?? Seriously?!

So let me start this out by saying M.H. (my current senior) has been staying on NF with me every night for the last two weeks and has been carrying the nursery pager because apparently she had little to no OB training at her previous program and they were hoping she might get some of my black cloudiness rubbed off on her and somehow make up the 80 deliveries she's deficient in in like 14 days (sorry...long run-on sentence...I'm tired, ok?!). She has done, I kid you not, 2 drop in deliveries, maybe 2-3 standbys, and 3-4 OBT, TOTAL, in 9 nights. She has slept more each night than I ever have combined throughout my entire intern year.
So last night, she wasn't there because she was taking the ALSO course with the newbies- GG(her advisor who's making her stay) gave her the night off to study. So it was back to intern-land for Nicella. I saw the storm acomin'! At a little before midnight, OBT calls, and informs me they have an FMC continuity patient that just came in s/p SROM and contracting. I'm like, SWEET! I can pawn this off on some sleeping third year chump. Then I ask who the doc is, and the nurse says, "Oh, it's a patient of Dr. MH...and she's supposed to be due at the end of July so she's pretty early". I just started cracking up. I mean, it's pretty inconceivable how incredibly bad my freakin luck is. She's here soley covering OB for nine freakin nights straight, and the one night she isn't there, her lame patient decides to go into preterm labor, and I have to freakin follow her all night, and finally deliver her right before checkout, all the while having the HGV upset because he had to come in when he happens to be SPEAKING at ALSO (because who else would be on call with me?!?). It was awesome. To make things even better, I had some lame new nurse up there who decided to go check the patient and start pushing her when she was only a 9, without even telling me, because nobody happened to tell her that we are supposed to call our attendings first for deliveries...not to mention it's a whole lot easier to push a baby through no cervix than a 9, but that's beside the point! Not to mention, when I walk in the room (for like the 12th time, mind you...I'd already introduced myself to her and talked to her multiple times), she turns to the patient and asks "Are you sure you want your little friend here in the room for the delivery?", to which, the patient and I just stare at her, and then she gets this really confused look on her face and says, "oh....you look so young"...gee thanks.....YA THINK!

AWESOME!

No comments: