Sweet dreams?
How did we go from this:
To this:
I mean really, as I got ready for bed last night, I disarmed myself, and looked in dismay at the pile of pagers, just sitting there taunting me. They said things like "oh right, you really think you are going to sleep tonight??" and another one pipes up "Yeah watch this, I have a built in REM detector, as soon as she slips into it, I am going to scream..." and the senior pager says " yeah well I am a little more sly than you, I have learned something my three years here, what I like to do is slip into their dreams, distorting them with these annoying, repetitive beeping noises." Not to be outdone the nursery pager boasts "you all are novices, I like paging the intern when she is cozy and sleeping, with a message like "theres an ER up on OB, just listen to the sirens coming in now"...that really gets an interns heart jumping", and afraid of being too quiet from being so new on the job, the personal pager pipes up, "well yeah, I like to field personal pages from the attending reminding you at 1:30 am, to DC a med that was ordered Friday afternoon...."
I cannot really complain though, all and all I got a fair nights sleep. But really Tod, couldn't that dc order have waited til morning? Funny quote for the night. We get a code blue really early in the evening, like 8 pm, and I wake Mason up from his nap. And he says "whats a code blue"? Now that made me feel like I had some stellar leadership and guidance. It took him several minutes to shake the sleep off, and then of course the code was cancelled.
Ah the life of an intern.
Hope you are all well, its so nice being back at Baptist and getting to see everyone. We rock.
Kat

3 comments:
So it's not just me that is hearing an actual voice when the pagers go off, saying "hahaha you silly little intern...you're so foolish for thinking you might get a little something called sleep!"...and I thought I was going crazy!:o)
Hope you are feeling better Kat. Hang in there. You're doing a great job! Strong work!!
So here's a bit of a conundrum. Why did YOU have the "SENIOR Pager". I mean "Senior" is right there in the name. Were you magically promoted to senior while Mason was in his coma, much in the same way as VP Cheyney is in charge when good 'ol W passes out after choking on pretzels? Who is 3rd in the chain of command then? I nominate......my palm pilot. It seems to know WAY more than I ever will. And it does a better job at remembering birthdays and phone numbers.
I second Brent, how come you had the senior pager. I had 4 pagers one time for a couple of hours but that was when the third year had clinic. Kept making my crappy baptist scrubs fall. I kept thinking I was going to have them down at my ankles any second. I assure you that would not have been pretty.
Post a Comment