Family Practice Residency- Our journey together for 3 years (06/2007-06/2010)

Family Practice Residency- Our journey together for 3 years (06/2007-06/2010)
First Day of Intern Year (2007)

2nd half of Intern year (2008)

1st half of 2nd Year (2008)

End of 2nd Year, June 2009

Beginning of 3rd Year, October 2009

Sunday, September 9, 2007

BNedella= White Cloud, NNedella= Black Cloud and Impending Doom


For all of you out there that have been worried by my past posts because I tend to have crazy shifts and calls and whine about them A LOT (ie, Lob Rundell...), I'd just like to completely reassure you that it apparently is just me bringing on the crappiness and the rest of you have nothing to worry about!
I have always tended to be a serious black cloud, and Brent has always been the white cloud. Every rotation in med school that we both did with the same hospital or people, I'd always end up being on call Q3, or working 14hour days, or all of my patients would end up in the ICU and extremely complicated...and then Brent would come on and would get a week off, or work 3 hours a day, or not have to take ANY call. That's just how it goes...but this is getting ridiculous people!!
I went into my first call on home turf yesterday morning, thinking

"Ahhhhh...finally! I'm home, things are great! Brent got 5 hours of sleep last time he was on and only a couple calls from the floor...Kat had a pretty decent night the night before and got some sleep...this is going to rock!". And then, well let's just say, all hell broke loose, and the black cloud-dum of Nicella Nedole descended onto our sleepy little hospital with a furry. The first good news of the day was, "Oh, by the way, since you've done OB now Nicole,

you now get to carry ALL of the pagers, including the nursery pager! Congratulations!"....yea...woopdeefrickindo! The whole super cool thing about being on call your first few months before you've had medicine and OB was that you'd have a senior there helping you out with the workload...apparently I assumed incorrectly, though. I got to answer every stinkin call from OB, which, by the way, must've gotten a memo from St. Joes that I'm no longer at that hospital and have moved to PBH. I had 6 deliveries (5 standbys for a certain OBGYN named Dr. A who just happened to have a broken pager yesterday night so he didn't know that his entire patient population was in labor and decided to go to Baptist to deliver...so lucky me got to be there and do the standbys...and since he never called back, I ended up having to do notes and orders on all of them!). And then, we had a drop in in labor who I followed all day and then delivered last night. And then I got 3 OB triage patients, and a couple more standbys. I kid you not, that stupid nursery pager went off about every 10 minutes! Some of the time it was just a nurse calling to say "I just wanted to let you know that we have another Dr. A patient that just came in, so I may be calling you in a couple hours for standby"...gee...thanks for the call to tell me you're gonna call...I just love to be woken up at 3 frickin AM to be told that! And every time you do an OB triage H&P, you have to run over to clinic to get the patient's file pulled (and let me just say, clinic is a little scary at night in the dark...

especially since somebody left the radio on low up front, so it sounds haunted!). In the midst of the OB insanity that I seem to attract no matter where I'm at, at roughly 11pm, we got a stinkin ADMIT! It was a bounceback, that isn't even an insurance that we take, but apparently since we took her in the first place a few months ago, every time she bounces back every couple of weeks, we have to take her instead of turfing her to IPC where she belongs.

So to sum it all up, I got less than an hour of sleep, did a buttload of deliveries, and am like this

with Dr. R now because I had to call him roughly 17 times an hour to precept all of the craziness going on. To top off my wonderful experience, after I got home and went to bed and had JUST fallen asleep, my pager goes off. I call back, and it's the ICU HUK, and I tell her, "Yes, I'm the intern that was on last night, but I'm now post-call, at home, and was sleeping. You need to page the day team that is on"...to which she replies, "No, I was just calling to tell you that in your transfer orders for your patient here, you wrote your medication orders as "QD" and you have to write "QDay", and I already fixed it for you, but you really need to not do that"...to which I replied, "Seriously? I'm POSTCALL!", to which she replied, "I realize that, but you need to understand that you can't write QD and you're going to get a lot of calls in the future, so I'm trying to teach you the RIGHT way"...to which I replied, "gee, thanks...can I go back to bed now?"...and promptly hung up and threw my pager under a couch cushion and when back to bed fuming mad!

So, my friends, no worries about any of the rotations that I complain about...because I apparently have the worst luck of anyone on the planet and drag my black cloud of OB hell around with me wherever I go! I really hate being an intern! Can I get an Amen?!?!? I'd also like to just state for the record that since Dr. Orm is a huge black cloud on service too, if we ever are on together, I'm pretty sure the hospital is just going to implode.

Just thought I'd warn you. Hope you're all doing ok!

3 comments:

Kat Shore said...

Wow. Amen. I mean what else is there to say? The good news is that I assisted on a c section with your friend Dr. A. Pretty funny because after I was scrubbed in, Ryan Zerr comes running in and says, "hey Kat, are you okay?" I was like yeah. And he says well I just wanted to make sure you were alright because sometimes dr. A can be a jerk. So I didn't want him to be a jerk to you in your first assist in a cs. Well, he was very nice to me, even showed me some anatomy. Later I realized I owed this to Nicole since she did all of his deliveries yesterday, and he got plenty of sleep. He probably figured he owed FMC one.
I must say I am pretty stoked that I haven't had OB during my first month on wards, much nicer. And being on with Marilyn helps because she doesn't realize that the intern is supposed to do everything....thus I got a great nights sleep.
I cannot believe that nurse called you at home for a little home schooling...that just sucks. Hang in there, it can only get better, right?

Brent said...

I'd like to think that if Nicole is ever on call with another cloud of equal blackness, there would be two horrible possibilities:

1)either we would have the Perfect Storm, which would send the hospital spiraling out of control ("Hurricane Intern" I'd like to call it)...

ooooorrrr...

2)one might cancel the other out, destroying each other, much in the same way that they put out fires at oil-wells with high grade explosives (look it up, the explosives consume all the oxygen and the fire gets blown out!). It's just a working theory at this point, although I don't want to be there when this little experiment gets to Phase 4 trials.

Jeremy said...

If dr. A is who I think he is he was a huge jerk today at Joes. I have seen him a few times and always with a bad attitude. Though I did deliver a standby when I was on our service and he thanked me even though he yelled at the nurse for not letting him know sooner. I can't wait to be done at Joes. Nicole I was on again with Dr. W, not great and to make matters worse I will be on my last Sunday with her. Just me.