Peds
Things are going a little better at Joes. I actually had fewer patients to round on a couple of the days, so I got to enjoy the little kiddos a bit. That first week was just so rough in terms of getting my feet wet, and figuring out what the heck is going on. Hey I was thinking it would be fun to start a column like for the favorite quotes, favorite middle of the night pages. Like the dousy I got the other day...."uh I just wanted to let you know that I drew your patients labs at 11:30 pm, and not in the morning like ordered.." Meanwhile the page came in about 30 minutes after I got to sleep at roughly 4 am (sleep that only lasted an hour and a half). Couldn't she have a. never told me. and b. called at 11:30 when I was more likely to actually be awake?? Like who gives a crap when the labs are drawn???
I think you would all be proud of me, I have taken on the social role of lightening this group of over serious people up a little. Its hilarious, we'll be in rounds, and I will just make a small funny, and everyone laughs, then looks at me like, oh geez should we really be having a good time at this?? Pretty funny how tightly wound some people are.
Some scary stuff though. I mean what do I know about a 4 month old downs syndrome kid with every anomoly known to man (ASD, VSD, PDA, coarctation) choanal atresia, g tube, no right ear (which incidentally is called atrotia or something like that), anyways he comes in with a little cough, not really that sick, but with all those comorbities we make a soft admit, so in the middle of the night he starts desating, and I am supposed to know what to do. Good thing my senior happened to be right there, and there was a savvy nurse. Phew! But man, do I feel unprepared for all the problems these kids have. And unlike Baptist, doesn't really seem like there are ever any attendings around.
Its so fun to look forward to reading everyones posts. So the other day at hour 3 of a 32 hr shift, I am riding in the elevator and have a random thought "wow, that would be cool if this elevator broke down, then I could just lay down and take a nap all by myself, with no interuptions..." I guess the q 4 is catching up to me!
Carry on everyone!
3 comments:
The elevator could break down at anytime at Baptist, seriously. That actually would be pretty sweet of course depends who was in there. Might be an endless lecture on evidence based medicine (not naming any names) and pretty soon it would feel like the far side cartoon with the guys on the little island. No escape. I guess for that matter it could be around the table in the docs lounge for rounds. Powerless to escape.
Every single time I'm in those stinkin slow Joes elevators, I'm PRAYING that they'll break down for a good hour or two so I can just sit down for a while and snooze a little bit...but Jeremy's right...with my luck, I'd get stuck with an EBM obsessed doc, or even worse, a doc that would "tell me 'bout that ONE!"
I am not going to rely on the elevators. Just throwing myself down a flight of stairs should do the trick. Hang in there Kat and keep your sense of humor, it will make everyone wish they were with PBH!
Post a Comment