Not so Nice-ella...

So I just got off from by far the MOST painfully terrifying trial by fire day of my academic career. I was on day call (a 13 hour shift) covering L&D, OB Triage, and post-partum. My orientation to L&D was "here is the 5th floor where L&D is, and here is the board with the 15 patients that are currently in labor on it, and OB Triage is over there and you need to do all the admit H&P's on patients when they get to L&D and also cover everything else in triage, too...ok, call me if you need anything" (my senior was then off to do C/S and high risk OB all day). I had no clue who to even precept with, there were about 500 frazzled nurses running to and fro..."the board", which I came to refer to as "the torture device" seriously had 15 patients that were in labor that I had to write notes on Q2hrs...PLUS do deliveries and write delivery notes/orders (thank goodness for our intern handbook...Dr. L didn't screw up those pages!)...PLUS, every time I'd deliver, they'd take that patient to post-partum, and a new laboring lady would come in that I'd have to write an H&P on her and staff it with an attending, which took forever.
I seriously just stood and stared at my arch nemesis (ie, "the board") for a good 5 minutes when I first got there. I then decided to go see the first patient on it, and went into her room. I hadn't been inside more than 10 seconds before the attending walks in, asks who the heck I am, and when I tell him I'm a new FP intern rotator, he gets this nasty look on his face and tells me "come with me"...he then takes me into the hallway, and asks me how many babies I've delivered, to which I answered "2 during 3rd yr". He then freaks out, starts yelling at every nurse we pass by in the hallway that he hates this hospital because they have freakin interns running the floor that are incompetent and have never delivered a baby before. He then pages my seniors, stat, so he can yell the same thing at them about me. I seriously wanted to sink into the floor and die...it sucked! Then, a nurse runs up and says a lady is crowning, so my chief takes me into the room and I deliver the baby, and the lady ends up with massive tears because the baby was ginormous (9#9oz)...the chief (who is post call mind you) then has to do the repairs because they were periurethral and I sure as heck wasn't touching that.
I gradually started to figure things out a little bit, but always felt like I was chasing my tail and could never get caught up. I delivered 2 more uncomplicated babies, and then my final delivery was with that nasty attending, and after he left, the lady ended up having a post-partum hemorrhage. Luckily, we had ALSO, and since her uterus was all boggy, I figured it was probably atony or retained POC...we gave her some pit, which didn't work, and then I had to stick my whole hand into her uterus and dug out a big chunk of placenta...and tons of clots...and then put TEN cytotec tabs where the sun don't shine (YUCK!)...but she finally stopped bleeding, thank goodness.
So it was pretty much a not so fun day...but hey, the bright side is that I get to do this 27 more days, and the next 14 days I get to do it without a day off and with a 30 hour call right in the middle where I work all by my freakin self while the entire OB residency is gone on retreat. Somebody please shoot me...AHHHHHHHH!
(Before any of you do this rotation, meet with me and I will go over how to do everything. I am taking tons of notes and am keeping a lot of stuff for you so hopefully it won't be so painful!)
4 comments:
All I can say, is that it has to get better from here, right? You will be an amazing Dr. and you will be great at delivering babies. I wish I could slap that attending (even though I believe in non-violence!) who tried to make you feel small. Its not your fault at all that you didn't get to deliver babies, and they should expect that at the beginning of the year. Its his fault for not having a program that plans for beginning of the years in which the interns don't know what theyre doing. Page me if you ever get a minute to breathe.
Soooo, I can't wait to be rotating there in November, and still have no clue what I'm doing. It's gonna be sweet to be like "yeah I've been a doctor for 6 months now...but could you tell me what the 3 rules of delivering babies are?" I mean, as easy as Ortho has been, there were still PLENTY of times where I've felt like everyone around me was speaking Greek (or maybe it was just Spanish). It seems that even with a month of orientation, no one was really oriented to anything that matters.
Just ask Jeremy about whether anyone mentioned having to round on 1/2 of the ward patients on your post-call morning BEFORE check-out. I certainly never heard that little jewel. Or how about "Hey, this is where the office/hospital that you start at is located, and here is where you should park...and these are the attendings to avoid...and here is how to get out of some work." You know, IMPORTANT stuff.
Well, I can feel the soap box beneath me giving way due to the tremendous weight of all the useless knowledge that I seem to be carrying around (like how to look up my time cards with MS-Dos). Good luck to everyone on this next week!
All I can say is that I feel so bad for you--I'm not sure if that is any consolation, but, man that just sounds like torture!! It sounds like your orientation to the OB floor sure was "less-effective." Those guys need to really take some time to let you know what to expect. That attending sounds like a real pillar of the community--he obviously didn't know he was talking to the smartest intern in the valley and our valedictorian!! Keep your head up-unfortunatly you have to be the first one to go through this torture. This sounds like Baptism By Fire in every way! Can't wait to go to Joes.
Horrible Nicole! uhhh, put me down for some of your notes for Joes because I am next. I am not looking forward to it. Frankly I don't enjoy going in to work. Dang tired and it seems like there is not enough time to get stuff done (except for Sunday which was the easiest day I have ever had, med school included except for my 2 week anasthesia rotation that I spent five minutes on, I digress). Wards has been ok, really depends on the attending and patient load. I think it is just a steep learning curve. We go from not being expected to know much to having to know a lot. It will pass and will be a distant nightmare.
Brent I think the tremendous weight causing your soap box to cave in might actually be the daily fitters you manage to spirit away in your pockets. Seriously I saw Brent in the call room today just before checkout and he had an arm full of Baptist free eats. It was awesome.
hang in there everyone.
Jeremy
Post a Comment