Family Practice Residency- Our journey together for 3 years (06/2007-06/2010)

Family Practice Residency- Our journey together for 3 years (06/2007-06/2010)
First Day of Intern Year (2007)

2nd half of Intern year (2008)

1st half of 2nd Year (2008)

End of 2nd Year, June 2009

Beginning of 3rd Year, October 2009

Monday, December 8, 2008

Thought I had Rid Myself of Blackcloud-dom...think again...


So last Friday was my worst 5 hours I've ever had at Baptist. It was a mad house. Nursery is SO weird! It goes from one day where you have little to no work to do, to the next where it's totally insane! I started out the week with the beautiful service Jon had left me- one mom and one baby. That's it! Sweet! By the end of the day Monday, I had 8 moms and babies, 2 of which were level 2! Friday morning I came into pure hell: a 17 yo drop in at 40 wks who was being induced because of PIH and poor followup. She had been there for 12 hours s/p cervadil, although her cervix was still cl/th/high. As soon as I looked at her strip I went and found Waldrop, who fortunately was there rounding on another patient. It was totally flat for more than a few hours, and she was starting to have lates with every contraction. Her pressures were in the 170s/110s, and oh yeah, did I also mention that she had Chlamydia that had been dx'd in OBT 2 weeks earlier, but she "forgot" to pick up the script for Azithro so she had only been treated for about 12 hours before delivering...awesome! She had also just gotten a BPP done that showed an AFI of 1, even though she was sure she hadn't ruptured...so I was thinking, great! Either this kid's kidneys are shot, or she's had a slow leak that was just big enough to let some nice Chlamydia crawl up into her uterus and wreak some havoc for who knows how long. Awesome. So Waldrop and I took her for a crash C/S, which went fine, but the baby ended up being level 2 because of hypoglycemia and other issues. I also had 2 other level 2's that still needed rounding on, and 8 other babies and 2 moms to see. But as soon as I came out of the OR, I had to go straight into another room and deliver a baby. By the time I got all the mom and baby paperwork done for the two deliveries that morning, it was like 10:30. So I then went to the nursery, worked on my level 2s, and finally got to postpartum to start on all the other people by around 11:30. After seeing a couple babies and doing a bunch of D/Cs, the nursery calls and says they have a patient that was D/C'd in mid-October there needing WIC paperwork filled out...except she was Spanish speaking only and had no idea what she needed or what was going on...she didn't even know the baby's birthday or how many weeks she had been...and of course there was nobody to translate for me...she just kept pushing this paper in my face that said neosure on it, but a nursery nurse came up and gave me the baby's info, which said it was a 38 weeker, so I tried in broken/butchered Spanish to tell her there's no reason she couldn't just use regular formula. So by the time I got back to PP, it was noon, and I started on my last 3 babies. Literally as soon as I opened the green baby book, OBT calls and say "I have 2 triages here for you"...I was like, EXCELLENT!!! So lovely Amy came up and did a triage for me, I did the other one, saw 2 more babies, and Brent saw my last one for me. I then checked out/dumped a nightmare service on Jon who was cross-covering, and was 10 minutes late to my afternoon clinic, which I had double booked for some brilliant reason. Forget about lunch...I just ate a bunch of M&M's and chocolate from Kirschner's stash.


If residency teaches you nothing else, it does teach you how to multi-task...but boy did that morning stink!! And I thought I had given my black cloud to Sonya and was home free. Boy was I wrong...DAAAAAAAANG IIIIIT (said like Napoleon Dynamite).

3 comments:

Jeremy said...

Times like that I am glad I am at Joes NICU. For the most part though I'm sure you are glad to be "Home" at PBH.

B&N said...

yeah...even when it's busy, there's no place like home!

Jonathan & Rachel said...

I can validate all of this...I have been the recipient of Nicole's storms. Yea, nursery is quite the bipolar service...or maybe it's just the bipolar residents? Ha ha.