So I cannot really think of any funny stories...could be a byproduct of being on q4 at Copa. I can say that I am so proud of our residency. Last year I did a fair amount of mental bitching about how little our faculty have to offer us when on service. Now I am at Copa ICU working with a 2nd yr as my senior. Trust me when I tell you, I have so much more confidence in making decisions. She wanted to check every little decision out at rounds, and I was like, no you just do it, and fix it later if you have to....Plus I am signed off on both LP's and central lines...Once again I am left with the realization that our residency rocks. Not only do we have the best people in the world, but our faculty's often hands off posture, allows us to really develop our decision making...pretty cool. We have had some great lab values at Copa lately...lactic acid of 23 (this guy actually lived for a couple days...), sodium 104--he's alive and pretty much intact, Hgb of 3--he's alright too. The human body has an amazing capacity to compensate...pretty cool.
Family Practice Residency- Our journey together for 3 years (06/2007-06/2010)
First Day of Intern Year (2007)
2nd half of Intern year (2008)
1st half of 2nd Year (2008)
End of 2nd Year, June 2009
Beginning of 3rd Year, October 2009
2 comments:
I feel exactly the same way. Whenever I was on with GG or HGV last year, I'd always question if I was really learning anything. Then I went to MICU and felt like I knew more than most of the residents in the ICU at the time. The most important thing I had was just doing stuff and not being scared about it. We all have to get over that feeling quick...like as in our first call at Baptist as an intern! It was so uncomfortable and scary when we first started out, but boy was it worth it, huh!!
Hope you're doing ok!
Nicella
Great insights---we often feel like we may get abandoned on our service when procedures, etc. need to be done; but, at least we can do them on our own and aren't worried that someone is looking over our shoulder every second of the day...i'm with you Kat: it's usually better to just make a decision, have confidence, and then repair things afterwards (although, if I were the patient I certainly wouldn't want my doctor taking this approach--that's why I pray if I'm ever admitted to the hospital, it's not a teaching one, especially Copa. How many people are killed by residents there per month?)
Post a Comment