Family Practice Residency- Our journey together for 3 years (06/2007-06/2010)

Family Practice Residency- Our journey together for 3 years (06/2007-06/2010)
First Day of Intern Year (2007)

2nd half of Intern year (2008)

1st half of 2nd Year (2008)

End of 2nd Year, June 2009

Beginning of 3rd Year, October 2009

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Gen Surg

Well, I guess I better chime in to all of you work-aholics and let you know what to expect in your Surgery month with Matlin. First off, he's a great guy, great teacher, let's you do tons of stuff, but it all comes at the cost of scratching his back (and cracking it a little)...some of the seniors have told me that the rotation is great, if there is a med student on with you. Well, they must be right, because there is no med student on with me and it is WORK! This morning was a 12-hour shift, from 6 a to 6 p and tomorrow will start at 5 am. He says if there are students on with him, they sometimes come in at 3 am!! Anyways, he likes to round at 6 or 7 am and he wants all of his patient's pre-rounded on. I thought I could do it all in one hour this morning, but I was a little bit ambitious and finished half of the patients before he got there at 7 am. Following rounds, he's had 5-8 cases per half day, and then clinic the rest of the day, not to mention a daily jaunt to JCL for some cases. So, I've been a little worn ragged (he keeps you busy the whole time--writing pre-op notes, getting his ipod set up), but it's been ok and he's a great guy--done 3 intubations and a lot of suturing already. I hope you all make it through this month--we'll all be a lot smarter and worn down at the end of the month.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Wow...you sure aren't in Kansas anymore Jan (and by Kansas I mean a cake rotation with the Lopez brothers)! I'm glad you're learning, but hopefully he'll lighten up a little bit (and by lighten up, I mean somehow aquire 10 med students all at once). Do you still get next week off because of his vacation? Hope so- sounds like you deserve it!